To some eyes, all that beautiful, lush greenery surrounding your home is an open buffet table. There are many types of pests that can take up residence in your flower beds, gardens, trees, and shrubs. If left unchecked, they can cause all kinds of problems that can affect the appearance and health of your landscaping.
Common LA Pests
The LA area is home to several species of insects and other animals that are considered to be destructive, or pests. Some of the pests commonly encountered by LA homeowners include ants, aphids, bees, centipedes, flies, grasshoppers, cabbage and other worms, mice, millipedes, mites, nematodes, rats, snails, slugs, thrips, wasps, and whiteflies. In addition to the devastation they can inflict on your landscaping, many of these pests eventually find a way to get themselves indoors where they can cause new levels of damage.
Pest Proofing Your Lawn and Gardens
Once they get established, these pests can be difficult to get rid of. Chemical pesticides may be needed. The problem is, that these pesticides can have unintended effects on the environment around your home. Even homemade soap and water solutions can kill beneficial insects and soil microbes, change the soil’s pH balance, and leave a toxic residue that can damage your plants. Any dead and sick plants will have to be removed, leaving ugly gaps in your landscaping.
At Gutierrez & Sons Landscaping we recommend that homeowners take proactive steps to prevent garden and lawn pests from becoming a problem. There are several inexpensive, safe, and organic ways to keep any potential pests from showing up for dinner. Pest proofing your property can save you time, trouble, and money down the line.
Six Ways to Pest Proof Your LA Home
Here are six easy ways to pest-proof lawns, gardens, and flower beds in LA:
- Maintaining a healthy, naturally fertilized soil makes your plants healthy and better able to fight off pests and disease. Ensure your plants get the proper amount of light, water, and drainage.
- Choose plants that are naturally resistant to pests. These include citronella grass, lemongrass, African violets, chrysanthemums, and petunias, as well as herbs like mint, basil, lavender, and chive.
- Know the early warning signs that you may have a potential pest problem, such as wilting or deformed foliage, droppings, changes in leaf texture, mottled leaves, and holes or other damage to leaves and stems.
- Attract beneficial insect species such as lacewings, ladybugs, soldier bugs, ground beetles, praying mantis, and predatory mites; birds and lizards like to eat garden pests, too.
- Rotate your vegetation, planting different kinds of plants in different sections each year. Changing your planting pattern can prevent pests and diseases from hanging around in certain areas. Plant rotation also helps keep your soil healthy,
- Apply physical methods of pest control, including barriers, traps, collars, bags, and cages.
Let Gutierrez & Sons Landscaping Pest-Proof Your Landscaping
Are you taking the necessary steps to protect your property from pest-related damage? Contact the lawn and garden care experts at Gutierrez & Sons Landscaping to learn the best ways to protect your property from unwanted pests. We can help you pick out the kinds of plants that will provide the best resistance to local area pests and give you helpful tips to help keep any pest problems under control.
Gutierrez & Sons Landscaping has been providing high-quality landscaping services to Los Angeles home and business owners for over 25 years. Contact us through our website or call us at (310) 324-6593 to learn more about our complete range of tree, lawn, and landscaping services.