What should I look for in a tree company?
It’s important to choose the right tree company for the job. Not only are tree projects typically labor-intensive, but they can also be quite dangerous. You want to make sure the company you choose is going to perform quality work before you hire them. Here are a few things to look for in a tree company:
- Years in business – Experience is important. The longer they’ve been in business, the more confident you can be in their experience.
- Safety credentials and licenses – Trustworthy tree companies will have all the safety credentials and licenses, and they won’t be afraid to show them off, so go ahead and ask!
- Safety record – Maintaining safety credentials is one thing, but actually following protocols is another. Check a company’s safety record to ensure they take safety seriously.
- Proper equipment – Using the right equipment is a major part of safety. Check for proper safety gear like ear plugs, glasses, vests, gloves, and hats.
- Insurance – In the event of an accident, you could be responsible for any injuries. That’s why it’s essential (absolutely essential) that a tree company has insurance to protect you from liabilities. Ask for a copy of their insurance before allowing any work on your property. It should be in the contract, as well.
- Reviews and referrals – Check the company’s website for reviews or ask around for referrals. See if other people have had positive experiences in the past.
- Transparent customer service – If you call a tree company and get the runaround from their customer service, it’s a good indicator of how the project will go. You want a company that’s easy to talk to and offers transparent communication.
Why is it necessary for a tree company to have insurance?
When hiring a tree company to work on your property, it’s absolutely essential that they carry insurance.
Since the work is done on your property, you could be liable for any accidents that happen. While you never hope an accident occurs, tree work can be quite dangerous. A tree company’s insurance policy is there to cover incidents during work, removing the liability from the property owner (you).
Always ask to see a tree company’s insurance policy before allowing any work to commence. Otherwise, you could be liable for any injuries that occur.
Why should I prune my trees?
There are several reasons why you should prune your trees. First, pruning helps prevent overgrowth, which can hurt your property’s aesthetics if left too long. Think of it like a haircut for your trees. You always want them to look their best!
Pruning is also beneficial to the health of the tree. Removing certain limbs can help shape the tree and promote healthy growth. By removing dead, damaged, diseased, or unnecessary limbs, it also lightens the tree’s load, strengthening the overall structure.
It’s also good for anyone who spends time around the tree. Dead, damaged, or diseased limbs are more likely to fall, causing damage to structures or hurting anyone below. Regular pruning removes these limbs before they get a chance to cause any damage.
When is the best time to trim trees?
In Southern California, the best time to trim trees is in late winter. While there might not be a major difference between the seasons, trees do slow down a bit during the winter season.
When you schedule a trimming for winter, you can remove the dead and unwanted branches while the tree is dormant. Then, once spring hits, the tree can spend all its energy on new growth and blossoms, instead of wasting it on unnecessary branches. A winter trimming is a great way to promote healthy growth and control the direction of your tree’s growth.
Of course, this is just a generalization. While most trees should be trimmed in winter, different varieties have different preferences. It’s always best to consult a tree trimming professional to ensure it’s the right time to trim your specific variety of trees.
Why is brush clearance important?
There are several benefits that come from brush clearance. The first benefit, and most obvious, is that it makes your property look better. Nobody likes to see unsightly thorns or weeds growing over their nice landscaping. Removing the brush is a great way to expand your usable area and keep your landscaping nice and tight.
Brush can also be dangerous to those who spend time on your property. Unwanted vegetation like thorns and poison can hurt anyone who gets too close. It’s best to simply remove them before anyone can have an unfortunate incident.
Finally, too much brush can even be a fire hazard. Especially in the dry California climate, it doesn’t take much to set brush alight. With all the space for air between the plants, fire spreads quickly through brush, which can pose a threat to your home, building, or any other nearby structures. Keeping brush at bay is an important part of fire safety, particularly if it’s growing close to a building.