If you want your yard to look beautiful all season ‘round, you don’t have to break the bank. Many gardening and landscaping tasks are doable by yourself with a little know-how and some time spent getting your hands dirty.
There are many small things you can manage around your yard by yourself, but some tasks are best left to the professionals. We’ll cover which tasks you can DIY, and which you should always invest in to keep yourself (and your yard) protected.
Read on for our easy and cheap landscaping ideas.
Landscaping On A Budget: What You Can Do Yourself
Sure, you can always hire a professional or the kid next door to make your lawn look perfect, but if you’re on a budget, there’s so much you can do yourself!
- Clear the yard out. Did you think you could get out of weeding when you’re landscaping on a budget? Sorry, but that’s the easiest task of all! It’s great exercise, and once it’s done, you have a clean slate for any amateur or professional landscaping you want to try.
- Plant a veggie garden. Do your research, purchase some soil and fertilizer, and get digging! Nurturing an edible plant from seedlings in your own backyard is incredibly rewarding, and you can eat the end result.
- Trim your hedges. For little bushes, a pair of shears can go a long way in making your yard look nice. Use an electric hedge trimmer to get the job done in a flash.
- Edge your lawn. Getting to the edges of your lawn with your mower is always annoying. Why not spend a day creating a great-looking edge? Rent or purchase a manual edging power tool for around your patio, sidewalk, and driveway, and use a manual edger for more control around your flower beds. Don’t forget to mow first!
- Add raised flower beds. Simple flower beds are super easy to construct around your house, and they work wonders to elevate your landscape — both figuratively and literally. Check out DIY flower bed tutorials here and here.
- Mulch. Mulching is a great activity to do in the spring to prevent weeds and make your garden look fresh. If you have a shovel and garden gloves, this is a super easy and cheap landscaping idea to do by yourself.
- Install a fire pit. When you’re landscaping on a budget, installing a backyard centerpiece might seem expensive. Fire pits are an exception! They’re incredibly easy to DIY, and they don’t involve as much labor as you’d think. Get as creative as you like, and you’ll be rewarded with a great place to roast hot dogs and s’mores in the summertime.
When To Hire A Professional
There are some areas in landscaping that are either unsafe or unwise to try and do on your own. You might end up spending a lot on raw materials for an unsightly end result you’ll have to pay a professional to do over, anyways — sometimes it’s best to pay upfront, even when you’re landscaping with a budget.
Avoid injuring yourself or ruining your yard by leaving these tasks to the pros:
- Tree Removal. Cutting down a tree can go notoriously wrong if you don’t have the right safety equipment, experience, and education. Please, avoid injuring yourself or felling a tree onto your neighbor’s house — call the pros.
- Tree Trimming Around Power Wires. This dangerous task is absolutely not recommended to do yourself! No matter how skilled you think you are with a chainsaw and a ladder, you should never try to trim around power wires yourself.
- Lawn Sod or Turf Installment. If you live in a dry climate like Los Angeles and you want to install faux grass to save on water and protect the environment, you shouldn’t try to do it yourself. If you’re going to make the investment on turf, you should make sure it looks right and lasts a long time. An exception might be a tiny area like a pet turf, which doesn’t require seaming and is an easy and cheap landscaping idea to DIY.
- Hardscaping/Concrete Services. Hardscaping, which includes paving, driveways, patios, and any other inorganic outdoor fixtures, is a labor-intensive skill you shouldn’t attempt to DIY without extensive experience. If you’re landscaping on a budget, you should still hire someone who knows what they’re doing to pour concrete or lay brickwork. It’s tougher than it seems!
Call Gutierrez & Sons For A Landscaping Consultation
If you’re not sure you can accomplish when you’re landscaping on a budget, our professionals are happy to walk you through the basics. Our family-owned business is always dedicated to making our services as affordable as possible. No matter what you choose to do yourself, we can help guide you along the process towards making your lawn beautiful.